4.23.2012

The weekend that I sobbed while watching Dumbo.

I have long held the opinion that one of the saddest movie scenes of all time—if not THE saddest movie scene ever—is the one in Dumbo when Mrs. Jumbo is chained up in that sad “Mad Elephant” car and poor little Dumbo goes with Timothy Mouse to visit her. She can’t move far enough to look out the window to see him, so all she can do is stick her trunk out the window and hold his little trunk in hers. That scene has always made me choke up a little bit.
OK, so throw in the fact that I'm pregnant and what do you get? Me absolutely sobbing last night while watching that movie with John. I’m talking, tears streaming in torrents, ugly-face, SOBBING. Note to self: do not watch movies in which parents and their children are separated while pregnant. Or perhaps ever again. I’ve already told John that he might start to feel neglected once our little one gets here, because I think all I will do, all the time is look at our baby and cry because of his/her cuteness. I can’t even wait.

Our weekend also consisted of doing romantical things like cleaning out our pantry on a rockin’ Friday night in preparation of the new tile floor we’re having installed in our kitchen and dining room this week. Because, you know, having carpet in your dining room when you have children is probably not the best idea. I can only imagine what the carpet would start to look like once our baby is old enough to eat real food. And by “eat” I mean chuck everything off of the high chair and onto the floor below. Look at us, being responsible parents already and saving our children from a lifetime of crawling and walking on germ-riddled, bacteria-infested dining room carpet.

Oh, and here is my belly at 18 weeks. We’re getting really excited to find out the gender of our little bean…only one week to go!


2 comments:

monkeystevens said...

It IS the saddest movie moment of all time to me!!! I think it is more sad than Bambi! Just wait until you're the mom and you're rocking your baby to sleep and you're singing "baby mine, don't you cry... you are so precious to me, cute as can be, baby of mine"...and you just start bawling and then you think if you had your baby taken away from you and you just start bawling even more...it's pretty horrible. ;) I honestly do this. I can't sing the song or think of the movie without crying.

Leslie said...

I just watched that movie with my five-year-old last week. It was the first time I had seen it since I was a kid, and Emma's first time ever. OH MY WORD. I forgot how heart-wrenching that was. And my Emma, who is super sensitive anyway, was horrified and was like, "Mom, why can't the baby elephant be with his mommy?" And I'm like, "Because the world is full of awful, evil, power-hungry people who want to ruin families and make children miserable and punish moms for protecting their kids and are you crying as much as I am right now?" But out loud I just said, "Well, the mom is just stuck there for a minute, but she'll be out soon." SO SAD.