7.10.2011

The 4th

Remember that one time when my life was crazy busy and I barely had a second to catch up on So You Think You Can Dance (thank the heavens for DVRs), let alone write anything on my blog, in betwixt the craziness? Yeah, that's still happening. But lucky for me (and you) it's Sunday, the day of rest...which also happens to be the day of blogging for me, apparently.

So without further ado, here's how we spent our 4th of July weekend. On Friday, we headed up to Logan for the annual Smith family get-together where we celebrate Grandma Smith's (John's maternal grandmother) birthday and watch the Logan fireworks. Those of you who know me well know what a goon I am for fireworks...and these were pretty good, I must say. Not quite up to the par of Taylorsville Days (which I shall discuss in another blog post one of these days), but good nonetheless.

Saturday was spent doing things that allowed me to reminisce about college life...eating Aggie ice cream (which is in and of itself reason enough to contemplate relocating to Logan permanently), taking a little walk around First Dam and driving up Logan Canyon to see the raging mountain rivers (seriously, white water rapids. It's crazy!).

I kind of love that I married somebody who grew up in Logan and whose parents still live there so we can go up and visit whenever we want. I sure miss it. We also went to the fabled Cache Valley Cruise-In with our friends Cortney and Steph and their adorable Baby Henry. And then I possibly invited us to crash their fireworks party later that night. I am awesome.

On Sunday, John and Michael entertained us with a dance-off. As you can see, it was spectacular.

On Monday, we headed to Bountiful for a 4th of July brunch with my mom's side of the family. And then, because we hadn't driven around quite enough already, my family headed back up north to West Point City to watch John's band play at their big city celebration. Oh, the life of a musician's wife...ha ha. I love it. They did a fabulous job and afterward we had prime seats for another awesome fireworks show. There's a reason that July is quickly becoming my favorite month, people. (And as a side note, am I a bad Utahn because I had never that I can recall previously heard of West Point and wasn't even sure where it was located? My deepest apologies to my 5th grade teacher, Miss Peck, as I'm sure she had it covered while teaching us about Utah's geography...whoops. And incidentally, West Point is a lovely little city.)


All in all, we had a great weekend. (And hi, anytime you get paid for taking a day off to eat food, listen to music and watch fireworks is awesome in my book.) It was only dampened by the fact that we found out on Monday morning that our power had inexplicably been turned off at some point over the weekend, leading to the premature death of some of the food in our fridge. I am mostly upset that we were forced to throw out the stash of chicken we have been collecting over the past couple of months. Or at least, the chicken we will throw out once we figure out how to pry it from the frozen grip it has on the top shelf of our freezer. Anybody have a spare chisel lying around?

2 comments:

rachelle c said...

ok first of all that johnny and his dancing was hilarious!!! i can't believe he let you post that (unless he is not aware that you did) ;) and that is such a bummer about your chicken. i would be devastated as i spend a lot of time getting my chicken on sale and take much pride in my collection as well :) glad you had a fun 4th!!!

Jill said...

west point is right by our neck of the woods...the next small town over. yea for fireworks and fourth of july!