5.08.2010

Shrubs and flowers and trees...oh my!


John and I have become totally obsessed lately with looking at shrubs, ground cover, flowers and trees, trying to decide what we want to put in our yard. We were downtown yesterday celebrating my brother and sister-in-law's graduation from the U. (congrats, Ty and Sharol!), so afterward we drove around the fancy rich neighborhoods up by the Capitol looking for landscaping ideas. Then we moved on to Temple Square--it is so gorgeous there right now! I have decided it would be best just to hire the Church's gardener(s). And have their budget for plants and flowers.

I LOVE these colors together. And those spiky plant/shrub things. Anybody know what those are?

I have decided I need to have some type of flowering tree in my yard, and I love pansies and petunias, so I'm sure we'll plant some of those. How about you guys--any suggestions? What are your favorite flowers, shrubs and trees?

3 comments:

monkeystevens said...

Hey Lonzi!
The blues and purples are beautiful. I have a bleeding heart bush in my yard (it's a perennial and I do nothing to it) that is absolutely beautiful. Rob and I are also trying to decide on a flowering tree for our front yard so let me know what you decide. Lilacs are always pretty if you want to take up more space than a flower, but not have a full blown tree.

monkeystevens said...

Oh..and it looks like Taryn has some beautiful flowering space taking shrubs in her blog...

Lynne and John said...

Hi Loni. Good luck with your temple square gardener. That plant in the photo looks like some kind of lily (lilium), either Asiatic or Oriental. Asiatic lilies bloom first (May-June), and Oriental lilies are larger and bloom when the Asiatics are finishing (mid to late summer). Now I want to get some.