10.19.2012

One month already?!

So somehow, our little Max is already a month old! I have to take pride in the fact that I don't think we have screwed up our son too badly yet. :) This has been probably the most challenging, difficult month of my entire life, but that is another post for another time. Sometimes I look down at Max and can't believe he's really mine and that I miraculously gave birth to him. But he is and I did and he sure is a cute little thing. (Like, for real, he is cute. I was terrified that I would have an ugly baby. Ha.)

I kind of love that his cheeks are getting chubby.

Yeah...pretty sure he gets bored spending all day with just Mom. 

Here are a few facts about Mr. Max at one month:
  • He eats about every 2-3 hours (more like every 2 hours lately), but he acts hungry ALL THE TIME. This makes for a very frustrated mama sometimes when I can't figure out if he's really hungry or if something else is going on. I am a slave to this boy. He also falls asleep nursing pretty much every time he eats, so feeding him can take a loooooooooooooooong time. But he is a good little eater and is gaining weight well, so I shall not complain. (Well, let's be honest...I do complain and nursing is definitely not the easiest thing I've ever done, but I'm glad he's a healthy little thing.)
  • He's a loud little boy. He grunts all the time. And he's a very noisy sleeper. We have him in our room in a cradle right now, and thankfully by now I've kind of gotten used to all of his little sounds, but the first couple of days were a little rough and I woke up at every squeak and squeal. 
  • He's a feisty little thing and has a good set of lungs on him. (That's code for he cries a lot.) We think he has infant reflux and is also a bit colicky, so he is what you might call a fussy baby most days. He spits up a lot (out of his nose and mouth, poor little guy--we go through five or six burp cloths a day and his clothes are never spit-up free) and also poops more than any baby in the history of the world. John is so proud.
  • He LOVES to take baths. He cries when we take him out.
  • He has a really strong neck already and can hold his head up fairly well. I tried tummy time the other day to see how that would go since he does so well with the neck strength...let's just say that he is not a fan.
  • I adore his hair. I was expecting a bald baby, so when he came out with that little mohawk I was shocked. He has developed a bit of a rat tail in the back, so perhaps it's time for a trim?
  • Most days he doesn't like to give me much of a break--when he's not nursing, most of the time he likes to be held and sometimes he'll only take a nap if I'm holding him. Or sometimes (like yesterday and today) he decides he doesn't need to take a nap at all until he completely wears himself out.
  • He likes to sleep on his tummy on Mom or Dad's chest.
  • Apparently there is something very interesting about the white blinds in our family room, because he loves to stare at them. He's starting to be more alert during the day and is very curious about everything around him. Sometimes when he's fussy it's because he wants to be facing out so he can have a good look around. 
  • He has taken it upon himself to pee on Mom and Dad on multiple occasions. Changing his diaper can be a bit treacherous...the other day he pooped twice and peed twice while I was in the middle of changing him, little stinker. 
  • John and I can't get over how cute our little guy is. We are constantly staring at his little face and laughing at the noises he makes. We can't wait until he starts to interact with us more and we get to see what his personality is like.

2 comments:

erin and neal said...

Thanks for sharing the update! Congratulations!! He's wonderful! I know everyone has different experiences but you're not alone thinking it can be hard. :) I'm still trying to figure out just how those first few months were simultaneously the hardest and yet the most amazing. I still can't believe how time consuming nursing can be; it does eventually feel much more efficient, I promise. He is so cute and it sounds like you're doing a great job. Keep updates coming!

monkeystevens said...

He IS beautiful! Nice work little Loni! I can't wait to meet him...it is going to happen someday. it is. It is hard the first few months, but they go quickly. Love you!