9.16.2012

39 weeks & 3 days

You guys. I am four days away from my due date. FOUR DAYS. Here's my lovely self at 39 weeks, lest you should be wondering what I look like at this point:


It's kind of hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that really, whenever he's ready this little boy could make his appearance. I've been having pre-labor symptoms for about the last week, so every day I think "This could be the day!" and then, nope, just kidding. He'll come when he comes, I suppose.

Things I am most looking forward to:
  • Holding and kissing and snuggling my little boy, of course. And finally getting to see what he looks like!
  • The baby clothes! Oh, for the love of all that is holy, the baby clothes. I am especially looking forward to putting him in the little Halloween onesies and sleepers I got at baby showers. I can't even handle it. (Oh, and don't worry that some stores have their Christmas stuff out already...I am in trouble. I somehow managed to hold myself back from purchasing anything just yet, but one store had teeny tiny pants with a Santa Claus face ON THE BUM. Do you even know how much I love little cartoon characters/animals/jolly-old-fat-men on diaper bums??? I am slowly dying as I type this.)
  • Sleeping on my back without worrying that I am cutting off the oxygen to my baby. And laying on my stomach. And being able to get out of bed without rolling my way out like a walrus. I'm sure I have never been more attractive to John.
  • Eating all the carbs I want. I haven't talked about this on the blog, but I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes back in July. I have a very, very mild case and luckily have been able to completely manage it with diet, but pricking my finger four times a day to check my blood sugar and having to basically be on a diet while pregnant has not been the most fun thing ever. I'm making a mental list of things I want to eat/drink as soon as I'm clear to do so. First on the list is a giant bottle of Dr. Pepper--which, after consuming, will probably put me into a sugar coma for the next three months. But seriously. Sometimes I make John order a Dr. Pepper when we're out to eat just so I can take a couple of sips and get my "fix." Oy. Maybe I need help.
  • Becoming a mother. And watching John become a father. I can't wait to see John's face when our little one is finally here and he gets to hold him for the first time.
  • Not feeling nauseous all the time. I have never fully gotten over the whole morning sickness thing, oh lucky me. My anti-nausea medicine are what I like to call "little white pills from Heaven." Also, God bless whoever invented the heating pad. These backaches I've had for the last  month and a half are no joke.
  • Wearing my wedding ring again! My hands aren't enormously swollen, but they are swollen enough that if I try and wear my wedding ring it's hard to get off by the end of the day and then I start to panic and have visions of having to have my finger amputated in order to get the ring off. I think so rationally these days.
Things I will miss:
  • Being pregnant in general. Despite all of the unpleasantness and aches and pains, I have LOVED being pregnant. I love looking down at my belly and knowing there is a little baby growing in there. It's almost like he's my little secret--sure, everyone knows he's in there and lots of people have felt him kick and squirm around, but he and I have been together every day for the past nine months. I've been able to experience him growing. I felt him move long before anyone else could feel him. Once he's out, he's not just "mine" anymore. Maybe that sounds crazy or makes me sound selfish, but it is honestly how I feel sometimes. A couple of Saturdays ago I sat in his nursery and cried for a good 10 minutes about this whole thing almost being over and my "secret" being out.
  • Using the "I can't because I'm pregnant" card. If you only knew the amount of times I have actually cooked an entire meal since I've been pregnant...well, let's just say I don't even know if you'd have to use two hands. So basically, John Morrey is a saint and I lucked out BIG TIME in the marriage department.
  • Glorious, glorious sleep. I have somehow managed to sleep really well all throughout my pregnancy (with the exception of being awoken by the most horrendous leg cramps known to man four or five times...the occurrence of which, oddly enough, also solidify the fact that John Morrey is a saint as he dutifully stretched out my leg and massaged my calf muscle each time even while only in a semi-conscious state)...I think John and I are in for a rude awakening once this little man is here. Literally.
  • In some ways, I will miss it just being me and John. Don't get me wrong, I am so so SO grateful and excited to have this little boy joining our family. But I have loved it just being the two of us. I'm so glad we were married for three years before we started our family, because I think it's given us a stronger marriage. And now we get to experience this new adventure together as best friends and partners in every way. We're going to have the best time figuring out how to raise this little guy together! 
So alright, little boy. We're ready whenever you are.

No comments: