1.05.2011

The quest for domesticity

Once upon a time I was dating a boy. And during the tenure of our courtship, the holidays approached and I first heard the legend of the magical Christmas Bread. Time went on, and I married the boy and that very same Christmas, I myself got to taste this fabled bread. And all was right with the world.

Translation: John's mom makes special bread at Christmas that is TO DIE FOR. It has creme filling, and almond filling on top of that, and a crumble mixture on top of that, and icing on top of everything, and as a bonus it is fat and calorie free! (Because everybody knows that at Christmas, all of the calories and fat don't count, sillies.) It's all I heard about when I was dating John and it was getting to be Christmastime. And then when we spent Christmas with his family the first year we were married, I got to taste it myself...and oh. my. goodness. Luckily there were a few slices left when we got up to Logan this year or we would not have been happy campers.

Anyway, I decided that if I ever truly want to be a Morrey and keep John from being forced to leave me on account of my inability to make delicious Christmas Bread, I needed to learn how to do it. So on New Year's Eve I woke up early so the dough could get to rising, and a whole lot of sugar and butter and a few phone calls to John's mom and about a half a day later, we had three loaves of glory.

Phew. My marriage is safe.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Um, I NEED to eat this bread. Creme filling? Almond filling? CRUMBLE mixture?! ICING!! Is the recipe a family secret, or can you share it? Maybe by email? You don't have to tell your mother-in-law or your hubby, you know. The Internet is SUPER private that way.

Julia said...

See, I would probably just remain intimidated for about 10 more years, THEN finally break down when we were on the verge of divorce. :) It is absolutely beautiful. Good job!

Shelley said...

You can NOT post all of that deliciousness and no recipe, it's just not fair...