A couple of days ago, this beauty started blooming in the marigold-infested flowerbed in our front yard:
I have no memory of planting this, nor do I remember it blooming last year, so it was a welcome surprise at the end of summer. I've utilized my self-proclaimed title of "Google Queen" and done a little research in an attempt to confirm its identity, and I think it's an iris. However, I readily admit that I could be wrong, so if any of you expert gardeners out there know for sure what it is, do tell! It is just pretty enough that I think it needs a row of little friends next year to keep it from being lonely.
P.S. Please note that we also didn't plant the glorious little marigolds that have taken over the flowerbed...and the occasional random crack in the sidewalk. They just magically appear each summer to give our house the appearance of gardening. Not my favorite flowers, but they sure do come in handy when you're too busy (or lazy?) to plant annuals. Thanks for the good work, marigolds.
2 comments:
Wow! That's quite a flower to come out of nowhere! We got this huge summer squash plant in our garden that we didn't plant either. After LOTS of summer squash, we pulled it up so it wouldn't take over the rest of the garden.
it's a gladiola. we have them in our yard, too, and in all different colors. (they're hugely popular for funeral flowers, funnily enough). sure do like reading your blog.
Post a Comment